The L.A. Times has the latest in a string of discussions and articles regarding how real estate blogs, when done correctly, actually produce ready, willing and able clients and help agents achieve their goals and increase success.
The article interviews several agents such as Teresa Boardman of St. Paul Real Estate Blog, Larry Cragun of Real Estate Undressed and Diane Cohn of Reno Realty Blog that have had great success with their real estate blogs.
Diane says that "about 75% of those clients came from the blog," and that "the other 25% were previous clients or referrals from them." And she deals primarily with families looking for principal homes, not investors or second-home seekers.
One great point that the article makes is that a blog can be a place for buyers and sellers to get to know an agent without having to step out from behind the curtain of anonymity. They can watch from afar and determine whether they "like" the agent and what he or she has to say. When they are comfortable and ready to make a move, they pick up the phone and generally don't need to be pushed into a transaction.
On the flip side, I have to disagree with one of the statements in the article:
"Cragun's advice must have been heeded, since it seems that every agent and their brother now has a blog."
The reason why I disagree is because, even though the number of agents that blog is growing, they represent only about 4 percent of agents in America. Not sure what stats they used that indicate that "every agent and their brother now has a blog"...
Though the real estate industry still doesn't fully believe in nor understand blogging, articles such as these may get their attention and help change their minds.
If you know of other posts or articles that touch on this subject, please share them with us. We'd also like to hear about your own personal experiences and successes (or failures) with blogging.